1. What does CROSSFIT ROCK RIVER “do”?
We “do” functional fitness – that is our main focus. Functional movements are those movements found in everyday life: squatting to pick up a child, kneeling to tie your shoes, walking up stairs, reaching over your head for a box in the garage, standing up from a chair, pushing a lawn mower…the list goes on and on. Not only will you have fun during our sessions, but after a short time you’ll notice a dramatic improvement in how you feel – and what you can accomplish with more efficiency and ease - as you go about your normal daily routines.
2. What is a “WOD”?
The “WOD” is the Workout of the Day. All WODs are one hour in length, and consist of a warm up, individual skill development, the WOD, and cool down all under the supervision and hands-on instruction of a qualified CrossFit Coach; in other words, a complete personal training session EVERY TIME. All WODs consist of functional movements that are constantly varied, high intensity and FUN! WODs are rarely repeated, with the exception of the “benchmark” WODs used for measuring progress over a period of time. WODs will not be posted onto the whiteboard or on the website in advance. Meaning, you will not be able to see today’s workout until today, or next Friday’s workout until next Friday. CFRR wants you to "train" to be prepared for anything life throws at you, to include the daily workout!
3. I’m not an athlete / I consider myself an accomplished athlete. Can I physically make it through a class/How can you guarantee I’m not wasting a solid workout by attending these sessions?
CFRR uses a progression method of coaching. Prior experience is NOT needed to attend a session and accomplished athletes WILL receive a challenge unlike any they’ve seen. How is this possible? Simple. While it is true that the WODs are created to challenge the most advanced client (and may look crazy or scary to some), it is also true that all WODs are deliberately scalable in order to meet the needs of the beginner or "out of practice" athlete. As you master technique, you will be challenged with more intensity and volume, or progress to a more advanced skill. When you have mastered technique at that level, you will be again challenged by intensity, volume or skill…..and so on. This coaching method guarantees a quality experience for all ages and abilities without needing to split the class or sacrifice an individual’s experience. Whether you are a couch potato or physically active person by nature I personally guarantee you’ll leave each session feeling successful.
4. How is a workout at CFRR different than a traditional fitness class? If you’ve attended a fitness class, you’ve probably gone to a yoga, kickboxing, or similar mainstream-type class and performed a 6-8 week cycle of repetitious classes focused on a specific style of exercise. So have I, and frankly, I have enjoyed them – until now. Each of our workouts are different and are guaranteed to be intense, challenging and completely adaptable to clients of all abilities. Our "box" is stocked with sledge hammers, tractor tires, ropes, Olympic rings and bumper plates, kettlebells, medicine balls....and many more "devices" that you will not typically find in a traditional gym setting.
5. As a CrossFit Coach, how are you different than a traditional fitness instructor?
Traditional fitness programs usually have an instructor who stands in front of the class and does the work out with the clients. In effect, some clients may be left behind or miss out on key instruction. The Coach at CFRR provides one-on-one mentorship, hands-on technique correction and personally motivates each client throughout the entire session, ensuring NO CROSSFITTER CAN HIDE OR SLUDGE THROUGH A WOD!!! It is CFRR's belief that this method of coaching is not only more effective for developing the client’s fitness potential, but likewise offers consistent challenge and motivation to a broader demographic of client while performing the same WOD in a single setting. To put it bluntly, you are paying for professional service, not to watch the Coach working out while on your dime!!!
6. I thought your name was CROSSFIT ROCK RIVER….what’s with “the Box”?
CrossFit has it’s own language…we say “box” instead of “gym”. We say WOD for “workout of the day”. We say AMRAP for “as many rounds as possible". We name our WODs after girls and military heroes. It's just another fun little quirk about being a Crossfitter.
7. What does my membership include?
Your membership includes…
- Positive mentorship, and hands-on technique and skill correction by a Crossfit Level 1 Trainer from the minute you walk in the door until the time you finish your WOD session.
- On Ramp Introduction to help advance your knowledge of CrossFit and give you the tools for success.
- Five different membership packages to fit your fitness goals or individual needs. You can choose to attend twice a week, three times a week, four times a week or unlimited (five to six days) a week – or, purchase a few sessions at a time using the punch cards and single session rates.
- Access to CFRR website to post photos, update blogs and correspond or ask questions to other members and the instructors.
- The opportunity not only for camaraderie with fellow members and individual accomplishment of goals, in a healthy and unique training environment that you won’t find in the traditional fitness center setting.
- Bragging rights. Period.
8. I would like more information about CrossFit, where can I find that?
Do you have any questions not answered above? Use the contact link and submit your question directly to RRCF. We will respond as quickly as possible.